Hundreds of guests, staff evacuated from Jacksonville Hyatt due to electrical fire; no injuries reported

Hundreds of guests and staff at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront hotel were evacuated Saturday due to an electrical fire potentially caused by a water pipe burst, according to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department.

JFRD said early investigation indicates a water pipe broke and leaked down onto a transformer, ultimately starting a fire.

“Suddenly all the power goes off… And it was really crazy because we thought it was a drill, because the alarm started going off. And then they told everyone to just evacuate,” staff member Kara said.

The fire is now under control. However, there is still smoke across four different floors, and firefighters are working to get that smoke out of the building, JFRD said.

No one was injured, according to JFRD.

“We had some elderly people get winded coming down the stairs. The rescue is on scene checking them all out. They’re treated and released on scene,” JFRD District Chief Patrick Coin said.

It is unclear when the hotel will reopen. JFRD officials said they don’t think it will reopen Saturday, but the decision is ultimately up to JEA who is also on scene assessing the damage.

The hotel is working to find guests other accommodations.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.