Georgia Man Accused of Stealing Florida Disaster-Relief Funds Arrested in Multi-Agency Investigation

Georgia Man Accused of Stealing Florida Disaster-Relief Funds Arrested in Multi-Agency Investigation

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – State investigators say a Georgia man is behind a scheme to steal disaster-relief funds intended for Florida small businesses recovering from the 2024 hurricanes. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has arrested Carl Anthony Needham Jr., 31, of Atlanta, on charges of grand theft over $20,000, identity theft and money laundering.

According to FDLE, the case began after the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office received a report that someone had used another person’s identity to file an Emergency Bridge Loan application with the Florida Department of Commerce. The program provides financial relief to businesses hit hard by Hurricanes Milton and Helene.

Investigators found that two applications had been submitted under the victim’s name: a legitimate $25,000 request filed by the actual applicant, and a second fraudulent submission for $38,000. While both applications listed the victim’s personal information, the second listed a different bank account for deposit. The fraudulent loan was approved, and the money was sent to an account tied to Needham.

FDLE says Needham attempted to hide the theft by moving the funds through multiple financial accounts. After identifying him as the suspect, FDLE agents, working with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office, arrested Needham on November 19. He was booked into the Paulding County Jail and will be extradited to Taylor County, Florida.

FDLE Commissioner Mark Glass said the agency will continue to protect Floridians from fraud, noting that the stolen funds were meant to help small businesses rebuild. Taylor County Sheriff Wayne Padgett praised the teamwork between his investigators and FDLE, adding that the cross-state nature of the case required a coordinated response.

The Florida Department of Commerce and the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the investigation. The Third Judicial Circuit State Attorney’s Office is prosecuting the case. Officials say the investigation is still ongoing.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.